Sunday, June 18, 2006

If i have to go to the hospital one more time this week...

this was my first official week as an intern here. by "first official" i mean my first week to be here and co-lead a team with fellow intern Remi (aka Eric). fortunately we did not have to take any of our crew to the hospital... however... i have become close friends with the doctors and nurses at the Hancock Medical Center. on thursday morning Tom awoke with an upset stomach... more than likely from the water that he was given the day before at the Orleans Parish Prison (he had been arrested for "wreckless driving" by a New Orleans officer... Tom, I'll let you explain that one...) after returning to the main facility from working offsite later in the afternoon, i noticed Tom was sitting on the steps of the bathroom. his upset stomach had gave evidence from both ends since around 10am. my parents and sister had just driven down that morning for a stint of volunteer work. after receiving very strick instruction from my mother i took Tom to the emergency room. Tom, being the unbelievably positive person that he is, was still cracking jokes. while wrapped in blackets in his freezing E.R. room looked at me and whispered, "i see dead people." he ended up staying two nights there at the hospital, injected with 5000 CC's of saline, phenegren, and too many other medications to name. Fortunately he his back and ready to go!
once wasn't enough... my sister called me around 12:30am last night to tell me that she had fallen at our friends Andy and Cami's house and had was sure that she had broken her leg. clumsiness runs in the family... thanks Mom. after having her xrays, the doctor told her that the inside back bone in her left ankle was broken... apparently a very "unusual" break... again a family trait.
fortunately everyone else is alive and well for now. hopefully we will all continue to be. so... to those of you here or on their way: let me know if you need to go to the hospital... i'm on a first name basis with the staff.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haley:
Am I ever glad you finally have decided to "follow your mother's strict instruction." It took long enough. Your sister and I made it home just fine, she is laid up in the bed and we await a visit to the doctor about her ankle. I pray things go very well for her. You are a good sissus to take care of her like you did. Look after your daddy for me till I can come back to get him. Love, Moo

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...wanted to let everyone know that I did it "right": broke my fibula in 3 places! Yay me!
I had a GREAT time in BSL, and with Lan-yap; and already (really) miss being there.
Hopefully I will be able to make it back down before Thanksgiving...or at least in 12 weeks! Love you guys...praying for all ya'll (plural Ya'll).
Thanks Hay-Hay!
K

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom really is an awesome dude and we are missing him being in Athens this summer but still so pumped and encouraged that he is living in the light of the Gospel there with you guys.
-Athens folk

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home