Saturday, March 03, 2007

Paint the Town



Well, it's one week later. As promised--an HPI update. Last week, we finished up that roof... the week before, we had done the north side, and last week was the south side. The tar paper was already down, so we had to lug the shingles up & then go to town--old school; no roofing guns here. :)

There was six of us there, plus Devon, the project manager... he's a fellow junior here at W&M, and also getting engaged soon (my best friend from elementary school just got engaged on Valentine's Day... everyone's growing up so fast!). It was a warm day, & it felt really good to be up there making new friends as we got ever-closer to the top. Right about as the sun was setting, we finished up & headed back to campus. Then, today, we got houses ready for Paint the Town... on March 24th, HPI (along with campus service fraternities like APO and PSP, and many local community volunteers) is kicking off the Jamestown 400th Anniversary celebrations (side note: as part of the Anniversary, Queen Elizabeth is coming to W&M's commencement in May) by painting dozens of homes in the Williamsburg/James City/York County area. Today we prepped some of those houses.

There won't be any HPI updates for the next two weekends, because... I'll be back at Lagniappe! Once again, it's spring break, & things have come pretty much full circle.

Last of all, in other news, I found out on Thursday that, from May 24 to June 19, I will be going to Goa, India!! I was accepted to one of W&M's faculty-led summer programs... I'll earn 9 credits (which, together with the credits I took at MGCCC-Jeff Davis last semester & the 18 credits I'm taking this semester, will allow me to graduate on time) & hopefully have an AMAZING experience.

I've been continually amazed by how much Lagniappe has continued to be a part of my life here in VA... between trips back to visit, running into people here who have been or know of it, & other random coincidences, it's been a good transition.

I wonder how long it will take for me to bump into somebody in Goa with a "PRAY FOR THE BAY" bumper sticker?? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home