Monday, January 22, 2007

lagniappe, colonial style










Well, my few weeks of complete vegetation have sadly come to an end. They were completely & thoroughly appreciated & enjoyed. Even despite the mass quantities of sleep, however, I still did manage to get quite a lot accomplished. Among the highlights,
1) finding a new home for Peje; I agree with Emily Mark--it's way too early for me to resign myself to what Jean once called "the mark of death" :P
2) spending a day in New York with my Dad... there's this amazing bookstore called the Strand on Broadway & E 12th that's inCREDible... my favorite store in the world, easy
3) going on runs on the XC trails behind my high school... I didn't realize how much I missed the woods... 2007 needs to include a backpacking trip, for sure
4) finally, finally cleaning out all my drawers, closets, and taped-up boxes full of clothes that don't fit me anymore... with the exception of one box that's still in a friend's basement, they're all gone, and that's a good, good feeling
5) Dharma Bums, by Jack Kerouac -- good book
6) Filling out my application to go to India for the first 6 weeks of the summer :)


And now, it's time to go back to school. I can't wait! I'm so excited to see all my friends, & to move into a new dorm, & to take what look to be some interesting & (of course) challenging classes. The Volunteer Listserve email has already gone around, & I've signed up for the Valentine's Day blood drive... I may have never gotten a valentine's present, but I sure like to give presents, & I figure this one's a pretty good one. In the job department, I'm starting back at the library (Swem) on Wednesday, although I'm going to look around for a better paying job.... maybe Home Depot? Put my new skills to use? ;) Beginners swing dancing lessons start next week, as does RUF & TSA (Transfer Student Ambassadors), & I'm super-excited for both. (Sarah Denton, if you're reading this, be proud... you inspired me :) ) Now all I need is to line up some gym partners, & I'll be set for what is sure to be another crazy semester.

One of the challenges will be, I'm sure, applying the truths I've learned over these last months at Lagniappe. Like, where does self-worth come from? It's so, so easy to buy into what W&M is all about--working yourself into the ground for academic success, & of course, looking really good while you're doing it. Believe me--we're not the public Ivy for nothing. We're all very good at selling ourselves body & soul to the English department, or Biology, or Government, or whatever. And the gym. Just like how at Lagniappe it's oh so easy to work 14 hour days & stretch yourself to the breaking point. Both of which can be a good thing--a God-glorification instead of self-gratification--if the driving motivation is to serve & honor our Father.

Well, me & my Participating in the Restoration shirt are ready to go.
The car's packed, & I'm heading back south (finally!) in the morning.
Let's bring some tool crib to the 'burg. :)


1 Comments:

Blogger MrClyde said...

Hey Ryn! Can't tell you how much you are STILL missed 'round here.
It's been fun following your blogs since you've left. Pray hard, study hard, play hard, and never forget how to say "That's hilarious," with a straight face.
LB&KY.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home