Monday, August 14, 2006

A Tribute to Patty Griffin (or, A Nap That Was Worth A Thousand Dollars)

So, it’s still true that I hate airports… although it’s not their fault, really. It’s just that I hate having to say goodbye—and a long weekend of goodbyes kicked off at 4:45ish am at the Gulfport airport. Echoing Christy Dale’s choice of Friday morning as one of the best Lagniappe memories, though. It was the definition of bittersweet. My ipod cycled through D. Webb & Patty Griffin (not crappy music, Eric, but just what I need, anyway :P ) all the way to Atlanta, during my layover, and then into Norfolk… then through the drive home to NJ.

I've had some time to think about you
And watch the sun set like a stone
I've had some time to think about you
On the long ride home

At about 3:30 am, I fell asleep (irony there somewhere, right…?) and crashed into the side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge… fortunately, no one else was hurt, and I just banged up my head a little. I got a flat tire, which after this summer I knew how to change (although—Kim, Tom—being stranded on the side of a road isn’t near as much fun by yourself!). I finally made it home at 6 am (and later found out that the damage totaled about $1,000).

Well, a long night turns into a couple long years
Of me walkin' around, around this trail of tears
Where the very loud voice of my own fears
Is ringin' and ringin' in my ears

The wedding was beautiful, Amanda was beautiful, and the look on Jonathan’s face when she walked down the aisle was beautiful (ps, I couldn’t manage to find one dress that would work for both, but I found a basic brown-and-white polka dot one for the wedding, and a black one for the service). It was outdoors in a cranberry bog, and the sky was every bit as big as it is in Mississippi. Their story is so great… they just graduated (her from Charleston Southern, him from Liberty) and have been together since their sophomore year of high school (my eighth grade year), doing the long-distance thing all four years of college. She teaches kindergarten and he… well, I’m not sure what he does. I sat on the bride’s side. :P

Camping with the little brother was awesome, too. My ankle is off still so I was really slow and we couldn’t go all that far, but we hiked into a lean-to and roasted hot dogs & marshmallows, then hiked out the next morning (this morning) and made it back to Manahawkin in time for the service—which, as it turns out, my Mom got put in charge of organizing (speaking of my mom… best reaction to a tattoo *ever*--“Oh… I’m SO sorry!”… hilarious). So I helped her out with the flower arrangements. At the service, she wasn’t able to get up to say anything, so I got up and said a little bit…

I was going to write a post, like some of you have already done so well, reflecting back on this summer. But I just don’t have the right words. Collectively, y’all’ve radically changed the way I live life. And you’ve each individually made an impact that I won’t ever forget. I love you all. I hope you know that. For evidence, I submit that I’ve already seen Kim, Emily, and Eric walking, and Sarah, Stephanie, and Tom driving around my town. Not really, but I think that I just wanted to badly enough that I tricked myself into thinking I really did. :P Is it time for the ‘tern reunion yet? Ohman.

May you dream you are dreaming, in a warm soft bed
And may the voices inside you that fill you with dread
Make the sound of thousands of angels instead
Tonight where you might be laying your head

6 Comments:

Blogger d.rice said...

Ryn, I'm so glad you're alright!

10:28 PM  
Blogger sd said...

RYN YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU CRASHED INTO THE SIDE OF A BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!! you said you had a flat tire..those are two entirely different things !!! oh dear, but I'm glad you're ok. And yes I would say your mom had the best reaction to a tatoo.

oh yeah, and i love that I can tell you're an english major from your post, it was beautiful to read. I miss you.

6:25 AM  
Blogger hales said...

excuse me? you crashed into a bridge?! what did i tell you when i talked to you on the phone? let's look back... i said, "if you get sleepy, pull over and take a nap." you are in serious trouble young lady... not really. i love you and i'm so thankful that you're alright.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a tattoo? You banged your head?? You went to a wedding??? Wow, we realy do need a catch up. I mainly read this cos I love to read your writing but I see I got to catch up on your life at the same time. Bonus. I'm amazed by your summer. I hope I have one full of adventure too. Hope to speak soon. Miss you. x

12:25 PM  
Blogger emily remington said...

Ryn I can't believe you crashed into a bridge! I'm so sorry! your spirit is amazing though... I would've been in such a foul mood and you just roll with it. You are incredible and I miss you. Your reference to Patty was so fitting- those words were perfect. Can't wait for a tern reunion.

3:39 AM  
Blogger jersey ryn said...

hey miss emily. :)
if it's ok with you, i might get to see you before the official tern reunion... i'm leaving nj next wednesday to head back down to bsl, & need somewhere to stay in the birmingham-ish area next friday night... i'll call eric about it soon--but here's hoping i get to see you both in the near future. :) miss you!

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home