Monday, August 21, 2006

bonjour, peje

(Disclaimer: Not sure this is where we're supposed to be posting anymore, but whatev.)

Let's recap two pretty sweet days.

Sunday: My Mom & I spent the day in Brooklyn, Soho, & Chinatown. The Brooklyn Tabernacle was, as always, a great experience. It's so much fun to be standing in the balcony, while thousands of people sing & stomp & clap, & the balcony shakes under you. Also discovered that Mulberry, one of my favorite words, is the name of the street running through Little Italy. Thought that was kind of cool. And called Eric & Emily on the way back to see how MCATs didn't go (answer: great), but got continually cut off due to some really bad service coverage. BUT, not before Eric got to hear--from my mom--her reaction to my tattoo.

Monday: OK, this is going to be long, but a lot happened & I can't tell each of y'all about it, so I'll just have to write about it. This morning (well, yesterday morning, I guess), I started off the day driving up the parkway north to Red Bank, & had an appointment with my nutritionist, which went really well. Then, drove farther up the parkway & crossed into PA (shoutout to Haley & Dave!!) to visit some friends from Lehigh (side note: It's really important to me to keep up friendships, & I've been known to drive insanely far distances for even ridiculously short periods of time to get to see a friend). I had lunch with Steph (& got to tell her all about the Guster concert from Friday night--inCREDible!), then spent the afternoon with Katie W & got to see the house she's living in this year; she's done an amazing job with it, planting morning glories everywhere, & she's got a tomato garden growing in the backyard. She's sewing curtains for the windows, & her neighbor is an artist. Yeah, Katie's pretty much one of the coolest people I know. :)

So is Katie P, who I went to meet up with in Union, NJ for dinner. If you remember the night we prayed in the guys' side of the bunkhouse, Katie's the girl I asked you to pray for. It was SO good to get to see her, & she's been back from TX & doing so good for eight days. I am SO proud of this girl. I got to see where she works (an animal hospital) & her mom's house, & dinner was good, too. And, on top of all that... she gave me, completely free & complete with tons of necessary "accessories"... a little tiny kitten. That's right. Me, who doesn't even like cats, now has a little calico kitten. Its story is, it's one of a dozen that were dropped off, & it's a runt, so they've had trouble placing it. As usual, I've got a soft spot for the runts. Without quite thinking through everything, I soon found myself driving back south, with a kitten in the passenger seat (of my mom's car--as my transmission is theoretically being fixed--who, btw, is allergic to cats. Also, who knew that Benadryl is for allergies?? I thought it was for sleeping. So, Tom, extra extra thanks for sharing yours, when you probably needed it way more than I did.). Anyway, there I was, next to a loud, meowing kitten that didn't seem to want to be quiet. And what do I know about kittens? (Or about how to make them be quiet?) Well, on top of being cute & curious & inquisitive & soft & fuzzy, my kitten also has excellent taste in music. A Patty Griffin song (Tony) came on & within seconds, my little kitten quieted down. So, what to name her? I didn't like Patty or Griffin... P.G.... P.G..... Peegee.... Peje, with the "j" like in "Jean." Peje. My own little kitten. (What a weird, weird sentence).

The best part? I was about another forty minutes down the parkway before I realized, "No way. No WAY." (*pause to let head bang against steering wheel in disbelief*) "I did it. I became Crazy Old Cat Lady. And I'm only 20! No passing go, skipped right past the whole still-middle-aged-and-single thing. Direct to Crazy Old Cat Lady. GAHHH!" :P

And, I kind of wanted to wait & surprise Christy, Emily & Eric, & Kim with little Peje. But I just couldn't wait to blog about it. :)

Much tern love to y'all. Prepare to be inundated with phone calls as I start my long journey south. Let's hope there's not too many dead patches.

Road Trip
Wednesday: W&M (Nyssa)
Thursday: Hickory, NC (Christy)
Friday: B'ham/T'town (Eric & Emily, Kim)
Saturday: BSL!

1 Comments:

Blogger emily remington said...

ryn it was so good to see you... and i love that you are a crazy old cat lady! you are too funny. and i don't actually think you are a crazy old cat lady, i think you are a softie for the runt. she's cute though. and a lil perv. oh well. hope tuscaloosa was fun!

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home